Mar 10, 2011

Maya Angelou

 Its woman's history month and I have to dedicate some post to the great women in our history and women who have inspired me. Maya Angelou has played a major part in my life. Most men wouldn't admit to something like that but i am the only boy in my family. I have always been surrounded by women and all of them great to me. From my mom beating a drug habit and my older sister raising me to my great grand mother (R.I.P.) and grandmother for taking us in. In school reading about the Harlem Writers Guild while looking up information on the Harlem Renaissance. I read up on Miss Angelou, about how she was raped at the age of eight by her mother's boyfriend at the time and was mute for 5 years after that. Her grandmother encouraged her and introduced her to literature. After that she blossomed becoming the first black street car conductor in San Francisco. She went on to do acting and in the 1060's she began working on her writing and, in 1970 her first autobiographical work, I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, became a best seller and was nominated for the National Book Award. Her Poems inspire not only women but people in a whole. Reading her works you can feel the deepness to it. So today i am honoring Maya Angelou. Every 3 days this month i will honor another great woman in history. Who is your great woman in history?

No comments: